Monday, February 13, 2006

Letter to the Editor

Below is a letter to the editor that I (Heidi) sent to Christianity Today Magazine. We subscribe, but I'm not a big fan of this usually watered down publication. This is, of course, only my humble opinion. Let me just say this is a very mild responce in comparision to my initial reaction to reading the report from Luis Palau. I needed about a week and a half to simmer down enough to write it! If any of you have read my entries, you know I have a special burden on my heart for the persecuted church. I'm a stickler for fact when it comes to what Christian brothers and sisters are facing around the world for their faith. I'm not usually one to complain, or seek to make my piece heard in situations like this, but I could not stay silent. So for what it's worth, read on:

"I was shocked when I read the report of Luis Palau’s visit to China in the February issue of CT. I don’t question the validity of Palau’s experience at the registered church he visited, but I’m concerned that his comments may serve as further justification for the majority of the Western church to remain inactive in response to the persecution facing the body of Christ in China. Palau’s experience is in direct contrast to that of thousands of believers there who are counting the cost daily of living for Christ. I hope we can take this opportunity to remember our family in China (Hebrews 13:3), and educate ourselves; that we might bear witness to their testimonies of faithfulness. Please pray for the Christians in China; they pray for you!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I may have to reread the issue of Christanity Today that I was looking at but the journalist wrote a piece on the persecutions in China and he didn't pull any punches. It may have been the same issue...that is disturbing they quote on guy saying the persecutions aren't bad and another talking about how awful Christians are treated!!!

Duane