Monday, July 17, 2006

Movie Review: Pirates of the Carribean: Dean Man's Chest

Three years ago I was surprised by the first Pirates of the Caribbean film. It was amazing, especially since it was based on a theme park ride. The sequel came with anticipation. Heidi and I saw the movie with Kent and Sally at the only theater in Fergus Falls. Unfortunately, an eight foot man sat in front of me, so I needed to move around to see the whole screen. Aside from that, I enjoyed the movie. There were some new characters, clever lines, great sight gags, and an undead monkey. Since the movie is a second in a trilogy, there were some open story lines and a cliffhanger ending, which sometimes feels a little unsatisfying. This movie will enter my DVD collection, which is about the highest recommendation I can give a film.

Sweet scenes: Jack Sparrow’s entrance
Jack’s payment to the fortune teller
The fight on the island at the end
Any scene with the 2 pirates from the first movie

Great line: Tia Dalma: I require payment.
Jack Sparrow: Look.
[shoots the monkey]
Jack Sparrow: An undead monkey! Top that!
Tia Dalma: The payment is fair...

Turd in the punchbowl: Having to wait almost a year for part 3

1 comment:

Jess, Kristi & Bohdan said...

I loved the special affects in the movie but was nto impressed by the story line. It reminded me of the first time I saw Empires Strike Back. Really did not like the movie at first but after watching it several times has really become one of my favorite StarWars movies.

Nothing can beat the original it still stands up there today with some of the best special affects ina movie. Anyway I loved the seen with the fortune teller, and the line you used was great...
I thought it had a predictable ending but should give them great material for the third movie.