Thursday, October 11, 2007

Running Renaissance

Since we moved across the river, Heidi and I have had to find new places to go running. We no longer have the Greenway and all the colorful characters we used to see every morning. The first morning that we ran together we found a small park that includes a lake with a path around it. Imagine a miniature Lake Calhoun, without the crowds, runners dressed to kill, and ugly dogs. The path around the lake is only about two thirds of a mile, but still nice. We have taken to running to the park together then I will run around it three times while Heidi runs around it twice, and we will run home together. It takes about 30 minutes, so it works out great. When I run alone, I have been checking out a section of the Gateway Trail that runs nearby.

With the cooler weather coming on and a change of scenery, I have been enjoying running more lately than I have in a long time. I hate running in the heat and welcome the colder weather. That is a sure sign that I am becoming a Minnesotan. This morning it was about 44 degrees, so I ran in shorts, a long sleeve shirt over my t-shirt, and thin gloves. It was perfect and I felt great. Running before work was never attractive to me before, but I like it a whole lot now. In fact, I prefer it. Soon though, I will have to drag myself out of bed when it is still dark out and below zero. We’ll see how much I like it then.

Heidi has been doing well with running lately. Be sure to encourage her to keep it up!

1 comment:

Dan said...

To run for fun does not sound like fun. I do not run for fun because it makes me feel numb. Alas no fun run for some because we slip and hurt our bum.