Sunday, June 21, 2009

Father's Day

Today was my first Father's Day as a father. When I look at my little guy I feel a sense of responsibility that I have never felt before. I love him so much and want to do right as his father. When I worked at Rawhide Boy's Ranch, I noticed that there was one thing that was the same with every single boy at that Ranch. Their fathers were all either physically or emotionally absent. Children need fathers in their lives. They can have the most wonderful mother of all time but still grow up a mess because they lack a father. American society has undervalued fathers and many men have shunned their role as a father. Men need to embrace their role and stand up for fatherhood. Let's get moving, fellas.

By the way, happy father's day, Dad. I was one of the fortunate ones. Thanks.

No comments: