Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Where is my hope?

On Sunday night, when the Broncos were leading the Chargers 24-7 in the middle of the third quarter in Denver, I (Tim) looked over at Robbie and Jer and said, “I am allowing myself to believe that we are going to win the game.” From that point on, the Broncos scored 3 points to the Chargers 28. The final score was 35-27 in favor of the Chargers. My hopes were dashed.

Many of life’s disappointments are caused by unmet expectations. I expected the best defense in the NFL to keep a 17 point lead at home; therefore, when they folded like a cheap suit, my expectations were unmet. To hope in something is to risk that it will not happen. The more hope you have, the more risk there is, and therefore, the most disappointment when things do not work out. On the other hand, when you risk big and things to do work out, it feels awesome.

In football, my hopes are often dashed. Most often it comes in the form of a Plummer interception. In life, my hope is in something better. I do not always see my expectations met, but my hope in God does not depend on that. There are struggles, but I know that God is good. I am reminded of the words of the great hymn:

My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus' blood and righteousness;
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly lean on Jesus' name.

On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand;
All other ground is sinking sand,
All other ground is sinking sand.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, thanks Tim. That was encouraging.

Jess, Kristi & Bohdan said...

Man I have been very discouraged by the Broncos play this year. At least you can put a positive spin on it. Thanks man.... jess