Friday, March 09, 2007

Movie Review: Amazing Grace

Last night Heidi and I ventured out to the new Rosedale theatre with Eric and the Candace to check out Amazing Grace. The movie is the story of William Wilburforce, a member of the British parliament who led the crusade to abolish slavery in England in the late 1700’s. It is a good story and it was well told.

Heidi and I agreed that we would have like to have seen more interactions between Newton and Wilburforce, since those scenes were some of the best in the film. The scenes where the evil of the slave trade was portrayed were well done. I felt like we understood how awful it was, but it was not gratuitous. The movie was also realistic with how the fight for Abolition took its toll on the people. They paid a high price for another person’s freedom and that inspires me. The movie does make it clear that Wilburforce drew his inspiration for social reform from his Christian faith and the Christians in the movie were portrayed in a positive light. Heidi and I agree that we recommend this movie.

One last thought. Hollywood puts out lots of garbage. Let’s vote with our money. We should pay to see movies like Amazing Grace and be more discerning about what else we put into our minds. It begins with me.

Great moment:
The speech about Wilburforce after the final vote at the end of the movie was fantastic.

Great line:
John Newton: Although my memory's fading, I remember two things very clearly. I'm a great sinner and Christ is a great Savior.

No comments: