Friday, February 08, 2008

The Blues

In the Twin Cities, we have a radio station called KTIS that plays the latest (and sometimes super-old and lame) Contemporary Christian Music. The music tends to be of the happy, praise and worship type, which is okay sometimes. However, there are times when I don’t want to listen to happy music, since it does not match my mood. While I am a generally upbeat person, sometimes I need the Blues. My favorite old school Blues rock bands are Rez Band and Red Sea. There is just something about the Blues that can help a person through a tough time. I know it is no accident that in the book of Psalms in the Bible, there are more Psalms of lament than any other style. God, in His endless wisdom, gave us an art form to express ourselves in the tough times. David, a man after God’s own heart, knew tremendous heartbreak, often because of his poor choices. Through his pain he wrote Psalms of lament that always ended with a declaration of his trust in God. Those Psalms encourage us even now, so many years later. I find it so cool that God cares enough about us to give us art to help carry us through hard times. Now, if only I played the guitar.

No comments: